Monday, June 20, 2011

Life in the Kitchen

I love hummus!
I put it on almost everything. If I were to eat only one food for the rest of my life, it would be hummus.
There are so many types and styles, which makes it very versatile.
It is also a great source of lean protein.
It is low in fat if you don’t add sesame seed paste. ( AKA…tahini)
I make homemade hummus about once a week in the summer.
Here is my favorite recipe for lemon and cilantro hummus.
DSC06191 
You’ll need:
1 or 2 Cans of Garbanzo beans ( I use no salt added so I can control my sodium.)
Juice of 2 lemons
1 Bunch of Cilantro
Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Cumin ( a matter of taste)
Food processor
DSC06192
Juice your lemons!
Or you could use store bought lemon juice.
DSC06193
Cut your cilantro
DSC06194

Add half the can of beans to your food processor
DSC06195

Add a little olive oil
DSC06196

Mix it up!
DSC06197


Add cilantro, lemon juice, spices, and rest of beans.
Mix it up, again!
DSC06199

ENJOY!!
The best thing about this recipe is how easy it is to change it.
Don’t like cilantro and lemon?
Add jalapeƱos instead of lemon.
Use roasted red peppers instead of cilantro.
Like plain hummus? Just use half the lemon and a little more olive oil.
Don’t like garbanzo beans? Use black beans or northern white beans.
No matter what you use, it is almost impossible to mess it up!
If you like a little thicker hummus, you might want to add tahini.
Total cost- About $2 for two cups of hummus.
Enjoy with pita chips or fresh veggies!

Linking up to
Family Friendly Food at Serenity Now

1 comment:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I LOVE hummus!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe--I've never made my own before. Yum!! Thank you so much for joining my Family Friendly Food Week link-up. :)