Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Life in the Farmer’s Market

I was going to be crafty today and show you all, but my camera is charging so it will have to wait!

Instead, I thought I share with you my love for fresh local produce.

 

Growing up on a farm might have given me a little bit of a vegetable complex. Each summer my grandma and I would painstakingly plan out our huge garden. We would spend hours planting, weeding, and watering. I would get so excited when the veggies would start rolling in. I loved shelling peas on the porch in the cool of the early evening. 

In my opinion, nothing tastes as good as something your grew yourself.

Most of my childhood memories come from spending time with my grandma in our garden.

When I became a vegetarian, it became super important for me to find fresh vegetables to enjoy.

Lucky for me, I live in a place that has a year round growing cycle so I never have to hunt to find local produce.

I love our Downtown Farmer’s Market on Saturdays. I try to go once or twice a month during the year and every week during the summer.

Check out one of my hauls!

DSC06152

Doesn’t that make your mouth water?

DSC06153

Those carrots are huge and delicious!

DSC06154

All those red potatoes…Yum! There are some sweet potatoes in there, too.

Summer squash is so yummy when you pan fry it with a little olive oil.

DSC06155

Fresh Basil goes with EVERYTHING!

(Too bad you made my butter taste like funny)

 

All of this for less than $25!

The only problem, if you could call it that, is local produce doesn’t last as long because it is free of all those nasty pesticides. But, we don’t need ‘em anyway!

Trust me, you eat it all up before it has a chance to go bad Smile 

Take some time this summer and find a farmer’s market or a place to buy some local grown goodies.

Get to know the farmers and help support their farms. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments: