Monday, August 20, 2012

Life With Deep Thoughts

 

I’ve been thinking lately about regret. I’m not one to regret many things, I see all the parts of my life as stepping stones. But, are there parts of my life that I wouldn’t want people to know? Are there things that I wouldn’t be proud to write about?  (Full disclosure, there’s not much that I DON’T share with you all!)

Do you remember the part in The Hunger Games where reporters go to the Tribute’s hometowns to tape propaganda pieces for the viewers? These pieces were meant to make the Tribute seem more likeable and therefore creating buzz for possible sponsors.

The same could be said of the Olympics. Reporters spend months digging into people’s past trying to find anyone who will speak positively about an athlete.

Where I see the connection to regret and the life application is this:  What would people say if you were about to win a gold medal? If you only had the people back home to speak about you, what would you want them to say? Is there anything you would regret? Would your testimony be front and center?

What would people say about you?

Would people say, “Eh, she’s a nice girl, but she didn’t really help others around here.”

Would they see your strength of character and courage? 

I would want my interview to say, “Above all, she served God with all her heart. She pointed us to Christ, and herself second.”

It is so easy in our social media saturated world to think, It’s all about me. I’ve fallen prey to this ideal. What funny thing can I post or tweet about today? How many pageviews and followers do I have today? (PS, I love you all! I’m so grateful that you read this little blog!)

When all of this is gone, I want people to say, “Rachel walked with her eyes upward because she was focused on the Lord.”

My new mantra this year

2[1]

3 comments:

Erin said...

This is a great post! I wonder the same things. Like if I were ever to become famous what and who would go out and out my secrets and mistakes to the world. Very thought provoking! New follower from the GFC Blog HOp!

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm a new follower from the blog hop! Come over and visit me whenever you get a chance! :)

You made a really good point about social media in this post.

xoxo ♥ Shar
http://sharmartinez.blogspot.com

... said...

lovely blog. xoxo