Monday, July 9, 2012

Life with a Challenge

I missed the first week of Sar’s 15 Day Challenge while I was away on vacation

I’m picking up today with Day 9: Tell us the best day of your life to date.

Ummm, this is a toughie. Like Sarah said, she hasn’t been married or given birth so it’s hard to narrow it down! I feel the same way. Have you ever had those moments when you think, “Man, my life is awesome. I’m pretty proud of myself!” Those are few and far between.

However, my greatest accomplishment has to be standing in front of a group of parents each year and telling them in so many words, “Hi, I’ll be your child’s teacher. I don’t know you, you don’t know me. But please, trust me with your child.” Ah, scary times indeed.

I remember making phone calls to all my families a few weeks before my first year of teaching. (We went on home visits as well.) One of the dad’s said, “You sound really young.”

I was.

I was 22.

22.

Who in their right mind would want to trust their child to a 22 year old teacher.

It’s only been by God’s grace that I’ve made it through six years of teaching and still want to go back for more. Throughout those years, I’ve had moments of “Man, I’m amazing, I’m really good at this.” and “WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!”

Sure it’s been tough challenge. I may occasionally cry when I come home. But nothing makes me more excited than stepping into a classroom!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was 21 when I did my full time student teaching. In a high school. I had a student who was literally 3 years younger than me. Crazy sauce.

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

The Arizona Russums said...

I started teaching when I was 22 as well. In my interview, the principal asked me how I would handle student discipline since I looked so young. I promptly went out and got a haircut in an attempt to look older.. it didn't really work {I still looked 22, if not younger}, but I also never really had a problem with student behavior either. I can be mean when I need to be :)

Linny said...

Hey girly! I am giving you a blog award, check it out on my page and play along!

http://cacutie333.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-award.html

That is awesome that you found your calling, I am going back to school (at some point) to get a teaching degree! Have a good day!

henning love said...

what a great day it must have been but terrifying at the same time but you are right through God's grace we can go through anything. i love sar's challenge