Monday, October 11, 2010

Life in the Kitchen

One of my favorite things to do is cook. I grew up in a household of great cooks and bakers. I don't think a day went by when my grandma wasn't mixing up something tasty with just a few ingredients and no recipe. My dad is known for making HUGE pots of hot and spicy chili, but doesn't want to eat the leftovers! My mom makes the best cinnamon rolls and chex mix, which we only enjoy during Christmas. Having all these culinary role models in my life has been such a blessing. When I moved out on my own five years ago, I was pretty comfortable around the kitchen. However, since becoming vegetarian a year ago has made me even more adapt at providing meals for myself and my friends!

Why do I tell you all of this? To share with you one of my recent "oops" turned "masterpiece" cooking experiences.

I have been wanting to buy a lager crock-pot for a few months. I have a small one that I use a couple of times a year in my classroom and at home. When it was time to cook applesauce at school this year I took that as my chance to buy a larger crock-pot. But first I needed to try it out for myself! I had some sweet potatoes and squash that needed to be used. I remembered a chili like recipe I had tried at a friend's house and thought I could recreate it.

In my crock pot went:
1 Handful of Black eyed peas
1 Handful of Black beans
1 Handful of Chick peas
6 chopped carrots
2 pounds of sweet potatoes
2 pounds of butternut squash
1 Shallot
1 Head of garlic
3 Small sweet onions
1 Box of vegetable stock

I came home after school and my house smelt so yummy. I had even stopped at the store on the way home to pick up a cornbread mix. I was so excited to try my creation. I opened the lid and looked in. I had underestimated how much stock or water to add. However, I was determined to eat my meal even if it wasn't quite how I wanted it. It was still delicious!

The next day, I got the brilliant idea to add tomato sauce and canned roasted tomatoes to my creation. I put it all in another pot and put it on the stove to boil. I added a few more spices to give it the chili taste I had been wanting.

Wouldn't you know that it turned out exactly as I had hoped! I put it over the cornbread from the night before, added a little smoked cheese and dug in!

I tell you that to share with you with this:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

You may be thinking, "Rachel, you're crazy. How does your cooking mistake connect to God?"

Let me share!

God knows all things. God directs all things. You may not think that who you are and where you are matters to God. You may even question if God even knows you are in pain. But guess what? You do matter to God. God wants to take your life and turn it into a masterpiece. He wants you broken and humbled. He wants you at your weakest. He takes all our bad and uses it for his purposes. There is nothing in this world that Jesus didn't already take to the cross and die for.

May God use you today for his purpose!

1 comment:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

this sounds great :) I will have to make it sometime!